With the Health Office and parents is extremely important in order to help your child in the event of an illness or injury. You may leave a message any time (24/7) with any information we need to be aware of regarding your child. We will return your call as soon as possible. We are better able to care for your child if we have the specific information available to us. Also, please make sure the home phone, work and cell numbers on file are the most recent and up to date. Call the main office if any changes are made during the school year.
If your child has been diagnosed with a communicable disease, we ask that you call and/or write to the school and inform us. Manhattan
School District 114 follows the instructions set forth by the Health Department. The Illinois Department of Public Health recommends that your child stay home when the following conditions occur:
1. Fever Temperature of one hundred (100) degrees F or above. Children are required to stay home for at least twenty four (24) hours after the fever has gone down.
2. Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea
All body fluids are considered contagious. Children are required to stay home at least twenty four (24) hours after the last episode.
3. Pink Eye: This may be viral or bacterial. Any child with symptoms such as swelling, redness, itching, or drainage should be seen by a physician. Antibiotics must be administered at least twenty-four (24) hours before returning to school.
4. Rash A rash is assumed contagious and must be diagnosed by a doctor. A doctor’s note should accompany the child when returning to school that identifies the rash.
5. Antibiotic administration
Any child that has been diagnosed with a communicable disease that requires an antibiotic is required to stay home until he/she has taken the antibiotic for at least 24 hours.
Three Actions to Fight Flu this Flu Season
Flu is a serious contagious disease that can lead to hospitalization and even death. You have the power to protect yourself and your family this season with these three actions to fight flu.
I will keep this section up to date to inform families of the various reasons for health related absences. This section can be useful if your child has any illness. Please keep us informed at school of any illness.
Week of : May 6-10. Fever
Week of :
Week of :
Please remember if you think your child will be needing any medication at school the Medication authorization form needs to be filled out by parent and physician and returned to school. This includes cough drops, Tylenol, Motrin etc. Please remember this is a district policy! Any medication is to be brought in to the nurse's office and picked up by a parent.
Medication Authorization Form can be found on website: manhattan114.org/index.php/anna-mcdonald-school/ under health forms.
A good question to ask yourself as a parent is, "Would I Want my child to sit next to a child with these symptoms?"